Pass-Fail/A Pass-Fail

Pass-Fail Policy

Some undergraduate courses offered by NAU have mandatory pass-fail grading. You receive a pass (P) grade if you earn the letter-grade equivalent of an A, B, C, or D; you receive a failing (F) grade if you earn the letter grade equivalent of an F.


Credits earned (Passed) in a course taken on a pass-fail basis are not used in calculating your grade point average; however, such credits do count toward meeting the credit units required for graduation.  A grade of "F" (Failed) will be used in calculating your GPA.  These credit hours are included in the attempted credit hours for GPA calculation.  See Grading Policies.


Generally, credits earned on a pass-fail basis do not count toward major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.


Graduate Students

Pass-fail grading is not available for any graduate course  that is normally graded with a letter grade, including a co-convened course.


However, with permission from your advisor and the Graduate College, you may elect pass-fail grading for an undergraduate course that you donít take for credit, such as a course taken to satisfy a deficiency in your preparation for a graduate plan.


In addition, if you are a non-degree graduate student taking an undergraduate course for personal enrichment, you may elect to take the course pass-fail with the permission of the course instructor and the Graduate College.


A-Pass-Fail Policy (for Undergraduate Only)

The A-pass-fail option may make it easier for you to take undergraduate courses outside your major field because it does not affect your overall grade point average, except when you earn a grade of A or F. In other words, if you enroll in a course for the A-pass-fail option, you receive an A when you earn that grade; grades B, C, and D appear on your transcript as a P; and you receive an F when you earn that grade.


You may use this option if you have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5 or have a 3.0 for 12 or more units from the preceding term. To use this option, you must make a request through the Registrarís Office and get your advisorís approval.


You can use up to 12 units of A-pass-fail coursework for your baccalaureate degree, including no more than two courses in a single field.


You may not use the A-pass-fail option for professional courses in teacher education, courses in your major or minor field, liberal studies courses, university course lines, repeated courses, or honors courses.


You may change from the A-pass-fail option to regular grading or vice versa during the first five weeks of a regular term, the first two weeks of a five-week session, and a proportionate time period for a course of other duration. If you enroll in a course under the A-pass-fail option and receive a grade of P, you may not request a change to a letter grade.


Click here for information on Grading, Academic Integrity,  In Progress/Incomplete, Audit, Course Repeat Policy, or Grade Point Average.