The Arizona State Teachers College Class of 1934 planted this rose bush in this exact spot. Beside this rose bush is a commemorative plaque, which reads:
The McCormick Rose
This rose is a clipping from a French Boursaid rose planted at the Arizona territorial Governor’s mansion at Prescott in 1865. The rose was brought from New York and planted by Margaret Hunt McCormick. She was wife of Richard C. McCormick, the second Territorial Governor. The clipping was a gift to the institution presented by the Class of 1934. The NAU Foundation erected this plaque on July 24, 1993.
Click to view plaque.
Although the original story of the McCormick Rose states that she brought it with her from New Jersey, her diaries indicate that this rose arrived somewhat later via steamship to Los Angels and then by stage coach to Prescott. An old French hybrid, this pink flowered rose is believed to have been the first cultivated rose planted in Arizona.
This rose will be available for sale through the NAU Arboretum gift shop as a rooted cutting, one of three campus roses making up the Alumni Rose Collection in the spring of 2005.
For more information on the McCormick Rose visit the links below: